I am a big proponent of automatic numbering using either the Numbering or Multilevel list features in Word. Sometimes though you inherit a document and you just want to convert all the automatic numbers to text numbers. I have seen this tip a number of places over the years but don’t recall right now the last place I saw it. This process involves getting into the Visual Basic Editor. Don’t let that throw you. Just follow the steps and it will work.
- With the document with Automatic Numbers in it open, press ALT+F11. This brings up the Visual Basic Editor.
- Press CTRL+G. This brings up the Immediate Window.
- In the Immediate Window type activedocument.convertnumberstotext. You will notice that after you type the period and begin to type “convertnumberstotext” that you can pick that from a list.
- Press ENTER. You don’t get any feedback but Word converts all your Automatic Numbers to text numbers.
- Press ALT+F4 to get back to the Word window. Enjoy!